The main advantage is that you can record and modify samples along the way within the single app. You can record sounds and noises, delete unwanted parts and then use presets to give a whole new sounding or create spectacular soundscapes and textures to use them as loops in this app. And even use FieldScaper as effect in real time with other apps or external input.
The FieldScaper consists of two main parts. The first part is the field recorder with special options for different ways of record environmental sound from microphone or record other sound sources. With the sample editor you can cut or split the source sample for more convenient use. The second part is the scaper sound engine that with using dynamic presets can easily transform the most ordinary sounds into something absolutely different.
These parts connect with each other into one whole but you can use recorder or scaper independently.
FieldScaper screenshots for iPhone. Click on image to enlarge.
FieldScaper has different user interface for iPhone / iPad in portrait and landscape orientation. In portrait orientation the screen is divided between Recorder and Oscillator controls. You can easily record new sample and immediately load and process it in the oscillator. For more convenient use of this application as field recorder on iPhone just rotate it to landscape orientation. This transforms the user interface into full screen recorder without oscillator. This mode is very useful for recording and editing samples on iPhone.
On iPad in landscape orientation on the screen placed the Recorder and controls for all three Oscillators. This mode is suitable for recording and operating with samples when you use FieldScaper in real-time as instrument with all three oscillators, especially with MIDI controllers.
FieldScaper screenshots for iPad (landscape). Click on image to enlarge.
In addition you can switch the user interface to the mode of Looper. This mode is specially designed for use FieldScaper as real-time effect processor and looper. All controls are made so that you can quickly change presets and samples, use the main controls for oscillators and select the mode for processing the input signal.
The scaper sound engine contains three sample-based oscillators each with filters, delay, distortion and a spatial mixer. Most of parameters can be assigned to individual low-frequency oscillators. You can control several these parameters in different ranges using the "Main effect" fader. These features give you the abilty to create continuously changing, breaking and glitching sound forms and loop-based effects from ordinary samples of synths, guitars, voices or everyday sounds of your environment.
The FieldScaper supports complete MIDI control for all faders, knobs and many buttons. You can change the parameters of oscillators, filters, delays and mixer by using any external MIDI controller or MIDI apps like sequencers. With the MIDI controllers this app becomes very comfortable to use at live performance.
Main features of field recorder:
- Auto start record when input signal appears.
- Auto stop record when signal below threshold or by time.
- Record series of samples by a signal presence.
- Recorder timer in seconds or measure (sync with BPM).
- Input signal monitor with different modes.
- Automatic gain control, cut off input filters and noise gate.
- Advanced sample editor (delete, trim, split, cut, copy, paste, undo).
- Filter and normalizer for recorded sample.
Scaper sound engine:
- Loop based mode for processing input in real time as effect.
- Three sample-based oscillators, each with set of effects.
- Low-pass, high-pass, band-pass, band-stop filters with resonance.
- Two range delay with smooth time change and additional modes.
- Advanced spatial mixer / reverb with changing of side and distance.
- Three-band parametric equalizer for each oscillator.
- Wide range changing of oscillator speed with option of reverse.
- Distortion effect based on breaking addressing of samples (like on circuit bending).
- Complex effect contains lofi, overload, noise, ringmod, flanger, phaser.
- Step sequencer can control selected parameter and envelope generator (ADSR).
- Individual or group of LFO for each effect with additional modes and BPM sync.
- The "Main effect" function for control several parameters simultaneously.
- A set of predefined presets with wide range of effects.
- Scenes for storing and loading all operation parameters.
- Pack the scene and all its samples and presets to single file.
- Convenient file manager with groups of files by name or date.
- Access samples and records via standard iOS app "Files".
- Upload samples thru Dropbox, Web access, "Open in" and clipboard.
- Complete MIDI control for all faders, knobs and other modes.
- Adaptive UI for portrait and landscape orientation.
- Different color schemes available for UI.
- Detailed application description (built-in and PDF file).
- Inter-App audio compatible (with transport and BPM controls).
- Supports Audiobus 3 with "State Saving" and MIDI features.
- Supports Ableton Link with start / stop sync.
- Fourth generation of iPad or fifth generation of iPhone and higher is required.
[ Complete description of FieldScaper 2.0 in PDF file ]
Demo of the sample editor and creating new preset:
Make preset with step sequencer:
Demo of use FieldScaper:
Live improvisation [ More details about this demo and what were used in this setup ]:
FieldScaper brief overview: